With effect from September 2015 any pupil with less than 90% school attendance was regarded as a Persistent Absentee. This is a national threshold set by the Government.
The Royal Borough of Greenwich and Stationers’ Crown Woods Academy are following Government guidance and implementing the ‘Fast Track’ scheme in this school to prevent pupils becoming Persistent Absentees (any pupil with less than 90% school attendance).
The scheme requires that all problems which would affect a pupil’s school attendance be dealt with promptly. If your child meets the ‘fast track’ criteria you will be informed by an additional letter and you will be asked to discuss this matter further with us. We may, if necessary, undertake an Early Help Assessment.
In order to avoid any confusion, if your child is away for legitimate reasons please ensure you follow this guidance:
- Email the school immediately at email@example.com on the first day of absence and every day thereafter that your child is too ill to attend. Please attach any medical evidence you may have for the absence.
- Wherever possible, please make any dentist/doctor/hospital appointments outside of school hours.
- Do not keep your child away from school if there is an issue in school; contact the school to discuss the problem with a senior member of staff.
- Do not keep your child away from school for unnecessary reasons, ie birthdays, holidays, relatives’ visits, shopping trips, your own ill health.
Failure to ensure regular and punctual school attendance may result in the issuing of a penalty notice under Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2003 and/or prosecution under section 444 of the Education Act 1996.
Thank you for your continued support.
Mr D Boothe
Vice Principal – Behaviour & Attendance
What does your attendance REALLY mean?
From the start of the year to the end of the year, there are 190 days during which it is a legal requirement to attend school.
The chart below indicates the impact any time off school has on your education!
- 1 day off school (99% attendance) – Making good progress
- 5 days off school, 1 week (97% attendance) – Academy minimum target
- 10 days off school, 2 weeks (94% attendance) – Risk of underachievement
- 15 days off school, 3 weeks (92% attendance)
- 20 days off school, 4 weeks (89% attendance) – Serious underachievement
- 25 days off school, 5 weeks (86% attendance) – Serious underachievement
- 30 days off school, 6 weeks (84% attendance) – Serious underachievement
- 35 days off school, 7 weeks (81% attendance) – Serious underachievement
- 40 days off school, 8 weeks (78% attendance) – Serious underachievement