We place great importance on healthy living and offer a wide range of activities for students to enjoy. Competitive and non-competitive sport is available to all year groups and our termly intra-mural sports competitions are keenly supported by competitors and spectators alike.
The 2012 Centre in Stationers’ Crown Woods Academy can boast some of the best sports facilities in Greenwich.
Outside space includes:
- An all-weather, floodlit 4G Astroturf pitch
- A MUGA (multi-use games area for netball/basketball/tennis etc.).
- Playing fields with 2 football pitches & one rugby pitch (winter);
- A 400m running track, javelin & shot put areas, long jump and areas for softball & rounders, as well as a purpose built cricket pitch. (Summer)
Inside space includes:
- An Olympic sized sports hall with retractable seating to accommodate up to 450 spectators.
- 6 badminton courts
- Full size exhibition basketball court
- An activity studio with a sprung floor for dance, gymnastics & boxing
There have been many new developments in recent years. We have launched the Greenwich Basketball Academy, the 2012 Dance Academy, a partnership with Welling United Football Club and the Eltham & District Boxing Association. We have also been awarded Table Tennis Academy status by the Jack Petchey Foundation. As you would expect, facilities are well used during curriculum time, and on most mornings from 7am and every evening until 6pm you will find students training in various sports both inside and out. The students and staff are really making the most of the wonderful spaces and equipment we have available to us.
We are continually looking to get specialist sportsmen & women in to work with our young people to inspire them and show that through hard work and commitment anyone can achieve great things in sport. Visitors who have worked with students from Sky Sports for Living include:
- Olympic athlete Roger Black
- European Championship long jumper, JJ Jegede
- Andy Barrow, Paralympic rugby player
- Tim Prendergast, Paralympic middle distance runner
- Heather Knight, England Cricket
- Hannah Beharry: 2012 Olympic boxer
- Darius Knight: 2012 Olympic Table Tennis player
Students are encouraged to participate in the Community Sport Leaders programme where they can develop leadership skills working with their peers and primary students in sport or dance.
We continue our strong links with local Primary Schools and some schools participate in our Annual Dance festival. These primary schools will also share our facilities at times for various sporting events as well as joint staff inset sessions.
We appreciate the support given by parents/carers in ensuring students always have the correct kit for their PE lessons. Visitors to the 2012 Centre often comment on how smart and ready for their activities the students are. Please see the Uniform pages for information on our PE Kit and how to order it.
We hope you take advantage of any opportunity you have to visit us in the 2012 Centre, on open events or to support your children in their matches/tournaments.
Please don’t hesitate to contact Frances Allen, Director of Sport, if you have any enquiries.